Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people with whom we serve, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Core Responsibilities: The Ascendigo Alpine Manager (AM) oversees the climbing component of our summer camp programming. The AM supervises the alpine team (two to four Alpine Specialists) which includes but is not limited to assigning tasks, delegating responsibilities, coordinating logistics, overcoming interpersonal conflicts, etc. The AM must constantly monitor the climbing site to ensure the safety of campers and staff alike. This includes judgment calls about weather cancelations and assisting the other administrative staff to find alternative rainy day activities. A typical day on the Alpine Team includes transportation of gear to the climbing site, building anchors and setting up ropes, top rope belaying campers, cleaning up the climbing site, returning to town to store the gear. The AM works in close proximity with our campers and may need to assist with behavior prevention & mitigation and activities of daily living such as toileting and hygiene.
- Work directly with clients who have challenging behaviors which may include physical aggression towards others
- Oversee and provide feedback to Alpine Specialists
- Coordinate set up at the alpine site each day
- Work in an outdoor environment that requires situational awareness and quick thinking
- Collaborates with Ascendigo Coaches and Interns to create sport lessons plans and goals that meet the client’s needs
- Act as a teacher and advocate for clients
- Teach alpine skill acquisition to clients
- Be willing to work an occasional weekend shift
- Build positive rapport with clients and facilitate FUN!
- Must be age 21 or over and have legal working status.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and excellent driving record.
- Must have a clean background check with no felonies or flags
- Must provide a current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Should have at least a high school diploma.
- Applicants are required to have and use their own phone for work duties.
- Basic computer skills (MS Office, email, social media)
- Must be able to lift and move heavy objects (up to 25 pounds)
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.
Job Type : Seasonal, Full-Time
Education Level : High School
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : ""