Direct Support Professional for Adult Comprehensive Experience
Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives, and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people we work with, such as our co-workers and other stake holders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are head quartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during out seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. We support high performance through thoughtful onboarding and training and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Core Responsibilities: The primary responsibility of our Adult Comprehensive Experience (ACE) Direct Support Professional (DSP) is to inspire and coach Ascendigo’s adult clients to achieve their goals and see their best selves. DSP’s may also provide services to clients in other Life Enrichment programs, including our Vocational and Residential Programs. DSP’s will be provided with internal training to further support their growth and expertise in the field.
- Work with other members of the Life Enrichment team (including but not limited to Residential, ACE, resident families, clinical or behavioral consultants, therapists, other staff, friends, and community partners) to coordinate care, facilitate care transitions, and implement resident goals and objectives.
- Implement individualized behavior plans and programs for clients, through the implementation of Treatment Plans and consultation with our Board-Certified Behavior Analysts.
- Complete a 40-hour course to obtain Registered Behavior Technician status provided by Ascendigo (full time, year-round staff only).
- Help client achieve any educational goals in plan i.e.: typing, reading, writing, coding, etc.
- Support and accompany client(s) in recreational outings weekly i.e.: skiing, wake boarding, rafting, hiking, paddle boarding, etc.
- Support client(s) in workplace settings, collaborate with workplace staff and finish any job duties client is not able to do.
- Provide onsite instruction and offsite training for all work-related skills needed for independent employment.
- Knowledge of the field of autism as it pertains to adults preferred
- Understanding and ability to learn behavioral approaches as practiced by Ascendigo, including the ability to allay maladaptive behaviors while remaining calm and maintaining composure
- Knowledge of healthy nutrition and basic cooking skills.
- Basic knowledge of physical fitness and exercise regimens and willing to engage in physical activities including outdoor activities with residents.
- Possess effective skills in active listening, coaching, and supervision.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and extended hours for meetings and events may be required.
- Must be age 21 or over and have legal working status.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license with no major violations in the past 5 years.
- Must have a clean background check with no felonies or flags
- Should have at least a high school diploma.
- Must have flexibility to travel for occasional professional development and resident activities (if applicable).
- Applicants are required to have and use their own smart phone for work duties. Ascendigo provides a monthly cell phone stipend for this use.
- Basic computer skills (e.g. MS Office, email, social media)
- Must be able to lift and move heavy objects (up to 25 pounds)
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : High School
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level