Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo's mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people we work with, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360 degree compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Job Summary: The primary responsibility of the Direct Support Professional is to inspire and coach Ascendigo clients to achieve their goals and see their best selves. The DSP is part of our Residential Team for adult residents within the Life Enrichment program who require support in the evening and is the primary caregiver during one’s assigned shifts. The DSP will collaborate with Ascendigo’s Clinical Managers and Case Managers to learn and implement Behavior Plans and other guiding documents included in the client’s Individualized Plan.
Essential Job Functions:
• Work with other members of the Life Enrichment team to coordinate care, facilitate care transitions, and implement resident goals and objectives.
• Follow directives established in each resident’s Individual Plan as well as those from the resident and their guardian/parent.
• Act as a peer mentor and household staff who strives to uphold the values of Ascendigo. Residents should have a structured home life with a family atmosphere.
• Work with supervisors and other DSP’s to support the physical, mental, social, and emotional needs of residents.
• Supervise residents’ personal care with respect and sensitivity while remaining in compliance with each residents’ goals and objectives.
• Provide appropriate supports and supervision to facilitate general health and safety for themselves, other staff, and all residents.
• Recognize natural teaching opportunities; provide counseling and teaching to residents as they tackle life’s daily problems.
• Maintain a clean and orderly household; participate in household chores as needed.
• Become familiar with Personal Needs Funds of residents and assist with appropriate spending and documentation of those funds.
• Plan and prepare meals that meet the dietary needs of each resident.
• Knowledge of the field of autism as it pertains to adults.
• Knowledge of healthy nutrition and basic cooking skills.
• Basic knowledge of physical fitness and exercise regimens and willing to engage in physical activities including outdoor activities with residents.
• Ability to handle the personal care of residents with sensitivity and caring.
• Possess effective skills in active listening, coaching, and human supervision.
• Have strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with colleagues.
• Have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work independently, set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and extended hours.
Personal Characteristics: committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. Believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : High School
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : General