Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people with whom we serve, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Core Responsibilities: The Finance Director (FD) oversees all financial operations assuring alignment with the organization’s strategic goals. The FD provides supervision and direction to all accounting, treasury and financial operations and activities. As a member of the Ascendigo Leadership Team, the FD also provides direct support to operational and programmatic activities through the development of management information and systems, analysis, budgetary development and management, and other reports designed to inform executive and policy level decision making. The FD is supported by an Accounting Manager and other resources but is responsible for performing all financial tasks when needed.
- Oversees and is responsible for performing all financial activities of the organization with an annual budget of $5.5 million including: accounting, banking, payroll, budgeting, forecasting, cash flow management, financial reporting, preparation of cost reports and regulatory filings, and billings and collections.
- Responsible for hiring and retaining staff as needed, including mentoring and professional development coaching as needed.
- Develops and upholds effective internal policies and controls to safeguard assets and reliability of financial statements.
- Develops, reviews, and recommends updates to the organization’s financial policies and procedures and assures their implementation.
- Prepares audit information and financial regulatory reports including Secretary of State registration, 501(c)3 updates and IRS Form 990.
- Oversees efforts to maximize third-party reimbursement in collaboration with Program Directors.
- Attends Board of Directors and Finance Committee meetings. Develops and presents monthly and quarterly reports for Board. Serves as staff liaison to Finance Committee.
- Participates in Leadership Team meetings and activities and works with other departments to achieve financial goals.
- Supports Administration in the evaluation of compensation, benefit plans, and insurance policies.
- If appropriate, leads the assessment, implementation, and management of technology.
Physical Requirements/Equipment Used: Ability to utilize a desktop or laptop computer for extended periods of time. Ability to lift and/or move light to heavy objects (up to 25 pounds). Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration or economics. Master’s degree in accounting, finance or business is preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience as Controller or Director level with supervisory experience.
- Minimum of ten (10) years accounting or financial management experience in organizations of comparable size and complexity.
- CPA preferred but not required.
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis, risk management and forecasting methods.
- Hands-on experience with accounting and financial management software (e.g. QuickBooks).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to explain financial terms in simple language.
- Familiarity with the way nonprofit organizations are structured, including the application of accounting principles and auditing standards.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required to accommodate meetings and special events.
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.
***If this post is still up, we are still interviewing for the position.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Director
Job Function : Finance