Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people with whom we serve, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Job Summary: Ascendigo’s Camp Nurse (RN) is the primary healthcare professional at Adventures Summer Camp. The RN will oversee and advise on health-related topics that arise at camp including illness, injury, medication administration for both staff and participants.
Ascendigo’s RN will keep detailed medical records of Ascendigo clients (with help from the Adventures Administrator) to be aware of pertinent health information for participants in Ascendigo’s care. The RN will intake health and medication information for participants during camper drop-off and answer questions that families may have. The RN will then organize, record, and store medication for the duration of the camper’s stay.
Each day, the camp RN will do symptom checks and take temperatures of staff and participants to help to mitigate the risk of COVID-19. Then, the camp RN will organize and delegate medication administration to med admin certified staff members. The RN may choose which medications are to be given by staff, and which are to be personally given. Ascendigo’s Camp Nurse will keep a detailed Medication Administration Record (MAR) for all meds given at camp. The MAR must be updated daily and available to be reviewed by management or CDHS auditors at any time, with minimal notice. Ascendigo’s Camp Nurse will have some scheduled work hours for check-in, check-out, and each morning, and is expected to be on call during operating hours from 8:30AM-4:30PM.
● Act as the top medical professional for camp for staff and participants
● Oversee medication intake, storage, administration, and delegation
● Advise staff on treatment of first aid, illness, or injury
● Communicate with camper families about medical needs and updates of their child as needed
● Administer and oversee administration of camper medications.
● Sign off on medication delegation forms for appropriately trained staff
● Be on call to answer medical questions during operating hours
● Intake, interpret, and store pertinent medical information of clients and staff
● Daily temperature taking and symptom monitoring of staff and clients
● Make difficult decisions to either keep clients at camp, send them home, or seek EMS depending on condition.
● Work in an outdoor and physical environment that requires situational awareness
● Build positive rapport with clients/ staff and facilitate FUN!
● Help to oversee client wellbeing and safety in a camp setting.
● Work positively as a team with all Ascendigo staff members.
● Attend client and staff meetings and trainings, as necessary.
● Act as the main point of contact for Ascendigo Administration to report on camper and staff health issues that may arise
● Oversee health and safety of team members during operating hours
● Purchase medical supplies and keep camp stocked with first aid equipment
● Enforce rules as they pertain to medication and medical practices to legally protect staff, campers, and the organization
Must be age 21 or over and have legal working status.
Must maintain a valid driver’s license and excellent driving record.
Must have a clean background check with no felonies or flags
Must provide a current CPR/First Aid certification.
Must provide valid RN license for Colorado State
Must have or attain CO State Childcare Healthcare Consultant Certificate
Applicants are required to have and use their own phone for work duties.
Basic computer skills (MS Office, email, social media)
Must be able to lift and move heavy objects (up to 25 pounds)
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.