Summer Camp Team Lead
Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people with whom we serve, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Job Summary: Ascendigo’s Summer Camp Team Leads are our version of in-field supervisors. Not only do Team Leads oversee numerous coaches (Ascendigo counselors) and participants, they also oversee the daily decision making to help ensure a safe and successful day for all. Each week the Team Lead will be assigned a group (Youth and Teen, or Adult) that consists of participants and coaches. The Team Lead will ensure timely arrival and departures to and from activities, that coaches are appropriately supporting their clients, assisting in times of behavioral challenges, and uphold Ascendigo’s high service quality amongst the team. Typically, Team Lead’s also oversee medication administration and are aware of all pertinent health and safety information for each client. Often, coaches need breaks at which point the Team Lead will take over the direct care for the coach. During busy weeks, the Team Lead may also be paired with a participant to act as a 1:1 Coach. Team Leads will make “game time” decisions to best support the Coaches and participants on their team. Salary range is based on relevant experience, education, years at Ascendigo, relevant certifications, and availability.
● Oversee teams of 7-8 participants and 7-8 1:1 coaches
● Intervene during challenging behavioral incidents to ensure the safety of the participant, staff member, and public.
● Work with the Camp Nurse to administer medication to the participants.
● Work directly with clients who have challenging behaviors that may include physical aggression toward others.
● Work in an outdoor environment that requires situational awareness and quick thinking.
● Collaborate with Ascendigo Sports Specialists and Sport Managers to create sport lessons plans and goals that meet the client’s needs.
● Act as a teacher and advocate for clients
● Teach client in skill acquisition, and behavior reduction in social, community, recreation, leisure, and other program settings
● Build positive rapport with clients/ staff and facilitate FUN!
● Collect data on all of client’s goal areas and data points throughout a session
● Work positively as a team with all Ascendigo staff members
● Attend client and staff meetings and trainings as necessary
● Communicate with caregivers and staff effectively, including a daily text message and/or phone call
● Act as the main point of contact for Ascendigo Administration to report on daily operations
● Oversee health and safety of team members and campers during operating hours
● Drive large vehicles (15 passenger vans) in a mountain environment
● Be willing to work an occasional weekend shift
- Must be age 21 or over and have legal working status.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and excellent driving record.
- Must have a clean background check with no felonies or flags
- Must provide a current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Applicants are required to have and use their own phone for work duties.
- Basic computer skills (MS Office, email, social media)
- Must be able to lift and move heavy objects (up to 25 pounds)
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.
With Room and Board: $660-$760 per week Without Room and Board: $24-$27 per hour
Job Type : Full-Time, Seasonal
Education Level : High School
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : ""